Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter

and Happy Birthday, Dad!

foodblog 012

My $1 buck Easter Lilly from Earthfare, I find it stunningly beautiful every time I walk past it.

The hardest thing about holidays is spending them without our family, we’ll always miss them; but thankfully it does get easier each year and we’re still able to have a nice time. It also really helps to have made some close friends here over the last year.

After church, it was pleasantly a packed house, we came home and I fired up the oven for our annual Easter ham. I loved this glaze (and the syrupy juices), it was so good that several nibbles of ham were grabbed before and after our meal. Along with the main entree we had asparagus salad, a couple small slices of warmed buttered bread, and a few token hard boiled egg slices. All served on our Easter egg shaped plates.

foodblog 007

Brown Sugar & Spice-Crusted Ham

I varied from the above recipe on the spice mixture a bit, here’s what I did for a 4.5 lb fully cooked ham:

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper

foodblog 005

After the ham bakes for about 45 minutes at 325 degrees, pull it out of the oven and slather with the above glaze. Increase the oven to 375 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes or until the ham has reached 140 degrees internal temperature.

See my local Dolly Mama hazelnut chocolate bunny lurking on the table?

foodblog 008

Asparagus Salad (adapted from Hip Kosher)

  • one bunch of asparagus, steamed, chopped into bite size pieces and cooled
  • 1/4 cup nuts, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp fresh mint
  • 2 Tbsp shallot, minced
  • 3 Tbsp feta, crumbled
  • 2 Tbsp EVOO
  • 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • salt and pepper

foodblog 009

More flowers, Kroger always has the best mark downs on them. I think this huge bunch was $3 and they’ve lasted over a week now.

After our late lunch, I hit the outdoors by enjoying some quiet time out in the hammock. This is the perfect time of year for it. I read a few pages of the book, “Life’s BIG Little Moments – SISTERS”. When my sister was here visiting last week she gave me this charming book and I can’t tell you how much my heart melted. There is nothing that can describe the bond my sister and I have, she’s truly the best. Anyway she went through the book and hand wrote little messages to me throughout it. I read through it with her while she was hear, but now I plan to go back through it and read a few pages every couple of days. (click to enlarge photo)

foodblog

She also included a picture of the two of us when we spent Labor Day weekend together in Asheville. I’m using it as my bookmark for now, but I do plan to frame it.

I’m off to enjoy some more sunshine!

No comments: