Saturday, April 3, 2010

Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

I still had 4 cups of butternut squash puree in my freezer from my CSA produce last fall. Before we get much further into spring, I wanted to use the rest of it up.  Thankfully over the last few months Megan has been trying some butternut squash soups and told me that this one was her favorite. Today was such a gorgeous spring day that I thought a light blended soup would be the perfect thing to enjoy.

foodblog 008

Since my squash was already in a puree form I didn’t use the slow cooker. I sautéed the onion and celery, added in the spices and then 4 cups puree with 2 cups chicken broth. Once heated through I pureed the entire mixture for a creamy, velvety smooth texture. As Megan would say, “Dillicious Eats”!

  • 1 c chopped yellow onion
  • ½ c sliced celery
  • 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
  • 1 small apple, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
  • 6 c chicken broth
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ground cloves
  • ½ tsp ground allspice
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Chopped fresh chives
  • Greek yogurt of sour cream

Place the squash, onion, celery, apple, and chicken stock in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, until the squash is quite tender. Half an hour before serving, add the spices to the cooker. Using a blender, puree the soup until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and garnish with sour cream and chives.

foodblog 010

As you can tell from the photo above, I enjoyed this on our back patio with the umbrella my husband had put up for me, watching the over so tempting hammock rocking with the gentle breeze and overlooking the freshly mowed yard. I also ran inside and heated a few small pieces of Irish Soda Bread leftovers with a little Smart Balance butter to enjoy on the side.

foodblog 012

This was the perfect meal outside…and I’m headed back out soon. Wilson decided to have lunch with me, he’s way back in the back sitting along the fence.

foodblog 009

My sweet little fig tree survived winter and has some buds!

foodblog 003

A little closer up, see them?

foodblog 002

The last few blooming flowers on the Purple Plum, such a pretty little tree.

foodblog 004 

We’re headed out this afternoon to meet our friends at the park and then enjoy dinner in downtown Durham outside somewhere.

No comments: