Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Taco Pasta Toss

It’s been a nice week, the pollen is still caked onto us all and everything around us. I had a package from Old Navy waiting on my door step this afternoon and I had to literally wipe the outside clean of all the pollen before bringing it in the house. For me, it’s not bad to be outdoors – I’ve taken a short lunch walk the past two days to meet friends for lunch. Tuesday, I went to Dos Perros and enjoyed two tacos – the vegetable (mushroom, onion, & squash) and the shrimp – both were great and I love their salsa and chips. Today, I went to Bull McCabe’s and was really impressed with their veggie burger, and I believe my friend was equally impressed with the Turkey Rueben.

For dinner tonight I made a Taco Pasta Toss - the taco flavor hits you right away, and is spot on. That being said those flavors in a pasta dish ended up being a bit too shocking for my taste buds, perhaps a bit too odd for me to repeat again. My husband seemed to really enjoy it though and gave me a nice compliment on it...if it looks intriguing, give it a try.

foodblog 003

  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 pound whole grain penne rigate pasta
  • 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 pound ground beef sirloin (we used turkey)
  • 1 large onion, chopped, divided
  • 1 large jalapeño halved, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1 12-ounce bottle beer or cups chicken stock
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar, Monterey jack or any Mexican semisoft cheese
  • 2 small plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 1/4 head iceberg lettuce or 1/2 small heart romaine lettuce, chopped

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and return to the pot.

While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add three-quarters of the onion, the jalapeño, garlic, chili powder, coriander and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is softened, 6-7 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, cook for 1 minute then stir in the beer.

Add the sauce to the pasta and toss. Spoon into a serving dish, top with the cheese and tent with foil to melt the cheese, about 1 minute. Top with the remaining onion, the tomatoes and lettuce – just like tacos!

Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As one who loves a little kickin' spice, I think this dish would shock my taste buds beautifully. Thanks for the recipe. (Check your email, doll! I'm sending a little something "kicky" for you and Andy. ;)