Typical nice work day for me today, started the morning with my usual exercise routine, showered and headed off to work. Our lunchtime potluck at work was fun and my Hello Dolly Blondies seemed to be a hit. I ended up eating a few too many of these though, lessen learned…I am banning myself from baking anymore…period…as I can’t seem to resist the temptation!
This was a nice, light soup to come home to and was enjoyable to make. We served our bowls with a splash of hot sauce and a small wheat bakery roll on the side.
- 4 ounces turkey sausage
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans organic cannellini beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage to pan, and cook for 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from pan; keep warm.
Return pan to medium heat. Add onion, zucchini, carrot, celery, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and garlic; cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Stir in 2 tablespoons tomato paste and red pepper; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Place 1 cup vegetable mixture, 1/2 cup broth, and 1 can of beans in a food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed bean mixture to pan.
Add remaining 2 1/2 cups broth, 1 can beans and sausage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat, and stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, rosemary, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cover and keep warm.
Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger & Cooking Light