Saturday, May 22, 2010

Cinnamon Kissed Maple Pecan Butter

I’ve wanted to make my own homemade nut butter for some time now…and many swear that they’ll never buy it in the store again. For my first attempt I decided to make pecan butter, after all they are my very favorite nut.

This has an unbelievable aroma as the mixture comes together, just leave the spout off and enjoy it while your waiting the 10+ minutes for your goodness. I quickly spread some on a tender bagel and loved how the sweet maple flavor lingered. Mine could have probably used that little bit of extra oil for it to have been a little creamier, but I’m perfectly content to savor my little bowl of homemade pecan butter as is.

foodblog 054

Makes about 3/4 cup, double or triple the recipe and the food processor will have an easier time, plus less scraping for you. Since this was my first attempt, I stuck with a small batch.

  • 1 cup pecans
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp grape seed oil (or any light oil), optional
  1. Preheat your oven to 325*
  2. Use a stone sheet pan or line a non-stick pan with parchment if you don’t want to clean a sticky mess! Pour the nuts on the pan with 1 1/2 Tbsp of the maple syrup.
  3. Roast for ~10min, stirring 3 times. Watch so they don’t burn. Let them cool for 10+ min. foodblog 046
  4. Put in the food processor, with half of the salt, vanilla, cinnamon and 1 Tbsp maple syrup. foodblog 047
  5. Turn the processor on, process for 10-15 minutes, scraping down the bowl as needed. Taste along the way. If you want more cinnamon and salt add it in about half way through. foodblog 050
  6. Stream in oil, process until creamy. (This photo was after 10 minutes and right before I added in the oil.)foodblog 052

*Cooks Note: It took about 10 min of scraping and processing before it was the consistency I wanted. If you get to 15 min and it’s still not as smooth as you want it, you can add 1/2 tsp more oil, but that shouldn’t be necessary. Just be patient.

Recipe combined from Edible Ash here and here, plus here’s a link to her cocoa-coco pnat butter which looks fab too.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

This sounds yummy!! Glad you had fun experimenting!! Just shoot me an email if you want header pricing info and the services I provide - edibleperspective AT gmail DOT com

Shelby said...

this looks so easy, do you know i still don't have a food processor? let me know if you have a recommendation.