Sunday, May 16, 2010

Recipe for a Kitchen Disaster

I was trying to make this recipe for Oriental Salad this afternoon for lunch...the noodles never really softened and the Chinese cabbage had too much of an earthy raw flavor to me...so I dumped it down the disposal, yep all 10 ounces of dry noodles. It turned out that wasn't a good idea, at all...for the first time in my life I had a clogged garbage disposal on my hands...and a napping husband upstairs. Do I dare awake the beast with such news?

foodblog 043

I decided to wait it out a bit, maybe the noodles would soften as they sat clogged in the watery mess? To pass the time and make for a clean working environment when Andy woke up, I decided the news would go over smoother if I emptied the dishwasher, refilled it, and hand washed my pots/large bowls in the other side of the sink. I now had a nice clean kitchen, but still a clogged disposal (I tried it a few more times)...plus the worry of how would this news be best broken to Andy. An hour later, I continued to ponder and he continued to nap...I jumped at every creak of the house.

I broke the news gently, we each stayed calm (thank goodness)! Andy asked that I stay out of the kitchen while he went and checked things out. It turns out the trap was completely clogged, what a stinky mess too. (This photo isn’t the worst of it…I was spared from having to see the gory details.)

foodblog 042

After a bit of prodding and pushing we were back in business. I disinfected the sink and kitchen cabinet as a last step. I was imaging that whole catastrophe going a lot worse than it did.

Now our relaxing Sunday can continue; after that whole mess I’m thinking that wine, cheeses, and baguette will substitute nicely on the dinner menu.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Reading this I was thinking of the silly things I have done...and worrying about how my husband would react. I would of done exactly the same as you..let him sleep and clean...hahaha I am happy everything worked out smoothly.