We enjoyed these on a toasted English muffin instead of a roll and also with cheddar cheese, as that was what I had in the fridge this week. Along side we had a small dish of pickled canned beets that my little brother made and gave us at Christmas. I am super impressed with everything he has made and given us. The beets have a nice clove and cinnamon background notes – delicious!
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces chicken and sun-dried tomato sausage, thinly diagonally sliced
- 4 (2-ounce) submarine rolls or hoagie rolls
- 1/2 cup tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 8 (1/2-ounce) slices provolone cheese
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, fennel, and garlic; sauté for 4 minutes. Add sausage, and sauté for 3 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned and vegetables begin to brown.
3. Arrange rolls, cut sides up, in a single layer on a baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until toasted. Spoon about 2/3 cup sausage mixture on the bottom half of each roll, and top each with 2 tablespoons sauce. Place 2 cheese slices over sauce. Arrange sandwiches on baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
Recipe courtesy of Cooking Light
I made a special strawberry dessert tonight with my local berries, a Baked Strawberry Custard.
Do you see what I find in the backyard?