Saturday, May 8, 2010

Smoked Salmon Eggs & Strawberry Trifle

Breakfast was great today, Smoked Salmon Eggs and Garlicky Potato Hash.

The egg recipe was from the cookbook So Easy and was basically caramelized onions, eggs scrambled and some smoked salmon added at the end. I also topped it off with fresh dill from our garden.

foodblog 234

After doing some laundry I made a green smoothie as I headed out (again) to go strawberry picking. I really liked this combination.

foodblog 189

The combo:

  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1/2 cup pom juice
  • 1/2 banana, frozen
  • 1/2 cup strawberries, fresh
  • 1 Tbsp ground flax
  • 2 tsp malted milk powder
  • 2 big handfuls spinach
  • topped with homemade granola, love the chew!

foodblog 193

9 LBS of berries, $1.25 per pound!! Took me 20 minutes to pick them, I was to the farm and back in an hour.

foodblog 236

So lovely…it was really hard to stop picking they were all so gorgeous in the field…I told myself to stop by I couldn’t resist them.

foodblog 237

Lunch: nutella, strawberry, cream cheese panini

foodblog 240

Strawberry Trifle

My favorite strawberry recipe - it's like an updated strawberry shortcake only simpler.

Assembly: 3 lady fingers per margarita glass, each quickly dipped in a mixture of 4 Tbsp orange juice plus 1 Tbsp grand marnier mix, and then broken into fourths and placed in the glass.

foodblog 241

Mix 1 cup plain yogurt with 1 Tbsp sugar. Dollop about 2 Tbsp over each glass of lady fingers.

foodblog 242

Mix sliced strawberries (2 cups) with leftover orange juice mixture. Spoon out strawberries into each glass. Top with remaining yogurt and sprinkle with chopped nuts or pepitas.

foodblog 245

Brinkley Farms Springs CSA - Week 3

foodblog 194

  • (2) heads green buttercrunch lettuce
  • 1 lb tuscano kale
  • 1 lb swiss chard
  • 1 bundle spring onions
  • 1 qt red potatoes

I’m really pleased with how much our little garden has grown. Check out the tall tomato plants and heads of Chinese cabbage! The peppers are coming along too, over on the left. Scroll through this post to see a photo of how small the garden was back on April 10th, less than a month ago. Any suggestions for recipes using Chinese cabbage? Send them my way.

foodblog 227

No comments: