Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Chicken and Waffles with Rosemary-Maple Gravy

Updates: Blogspot now has a feature that allows me to add additional pages or tabs to my blog and I’ve created the standard “About Me” page that so many other bloggers have. I also heard about a new online recipe search today and have added it to my blog roll, it’s a Food Blog Recipe search! Check them both out.

I’ve been intrigued by this type of dish for quite awhile, I love when sweet meets savory. I was recently at Revolution and they had this dish on the menu, I got to try a delicious bite as my friend ordered it. Their dish was fried chicken served and the waffles were served with honey, I believe. I liked that this recipe carried the sweet and savory effect into the dipping sauce also with a rosemary-maple gravy.

foodblog 015

  • 2 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/4 cups multi-grain pancake mix
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1.5 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
  • handful grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
  • 1 sprig rosemary, leaves finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/2up chicken stock
  • 2 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup

Preheat the waffle iron. Melt a little butter in small dish in the microwave. Combine the pancake mix, egg, milk, vegetable oil, nutmeg, cheese, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Brush the waffle iron with melted butter and fill it with half of the batter.

foodblog 011

While the waffle cooks, heat a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil in large skillet over medium-low heat and add the chicken. Sauté until cooked through, 4-5 minutes on each side.When the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan.

foodblog 014

Add a tablespoon butter to the pan. When the butter has melted, stir in the rosemary and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in the flour, stir for 1 more minute, then whisk in the stock. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then add the syrup. Reduce heat to low.

foodblog 019

Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray

No comments: