Saturday, June 26, 2010

Corn Muffins with Honey Butter

I met Kelly this morning for a quick spin through the farmers market where I picked up another pint of blueberries (they are SO good in muesli). I also have local peaches that I purchased at the Wednesday market, they are so perfect right now.

foodblog 051foodblog 048 

We walked over to Scratch Bakery, we were still a bit early but there was lots of seating outside so we sat in the shade for about 10 minutes. Soon enough the bakery was open and we were overwhelmed with options. We each decided to get a Sticky Peanut Bun with iced coffee, I also picked up a few Pigs in a Blanket to go for Andy (though Kelly and I did split one, how could we resist!?) The sticky buns were still warm from the oven, I enjoyed every slow bite of it.

foodblog 049

For lunch today I roasted some of my CSA wax & green beans along with chickpeas. I just tossed them in a little olive oil, s&p, and chili powder then baked at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes. Along with the beans we had corn muffins with honey butter…my favorite! (I used to eat honey butter and toast all the time as a kid for a snack.)

Delicious, simple meal!

foodblog 059 

  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more, room temperature, for muffin tins and serving
  • 1 1/2 cups cornmeal, finely ground
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • Honey, for serving
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Generously butter a standard 12-cup muffin tin; set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, baking soda, and salt. Whisk in buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter until smooth; batter should be loose and pourable. If not, whisk in additional 1/4 cup buttermilk.
  3. Pour batter into prepared muffin tin and transfer to oven. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 20 minutes. Immediately turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly.
  4. Place softened butter on a small plate and drizzle with honey, stir; serve with warm muffins.

 foodblog 055 foodblog 052

From The Martha Stewart Show, May 2010

No comments: