Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Grilled Creamed Corn

Andy really likes fresh corn and I thought this simple recipe would be the perfect use. Though I dislike shucking corn, once I had some newspaper laid over the counters, it really doesn’t take all that long to strip it clean. The fresh corn was worth the work, as this was a delicious recipe.

foodblog 060

  • 8 ears corn, husked
  • 2 tablespoons light butter
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 1/4 cups skim milk
  • 3 tablespoons light cream cheese
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
  1. Preheat a grill to medium-high. Arrange the corn on the grate and grill, turning occasionally, until the kernels are golden-brown and softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, remove the corn kernels from the cobs; discard the cobs. (You should have about 5 cups kernels.) Lower the grill temperature to medium. foodblog 055

  2. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over the grate. Add the butter to melt, then whisk in the flour until combined and foaming, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk and cream cheese and cook, whisking constantly, until smooth and thick, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the corn kernels; season with salt, black pepper and the cayenne, if using, and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.

Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray

Besides the local corn that I picked up at the Durham Farmer’s Market, I also got a pint of gorgeous, plump blackberries!! They taste so good.

foodblog 053

At the grocery I’ve been purchasing Maple View Farms milk, I find it nice to know where my milk comes from. Plus the thick glass bottle is awesome!

foodblog 052

In the last couple of weeks LocoPops, a local popsicle shop, has started selling their popsicle flavors by the pint. They have a couple sorbet and ice cream selections to choose from. I stopped by today to purchase their Vanilla Plum Ice Cream, I couldn’t resist trying this one because it reminded me of my Mom. She adores anything with plums, wish I could enjoy this with her <3

No comments: