Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sweet Corn and Chickpea Quinoa Salad

Last night, my friend Megan posted a Quinoa with Sweet Corn dish that was just the inspiration I needed for all the ears of corn and chickpeas that we prepped yesterday. My first thought was to keep it simple with corn, chickpeas, and sun dried tomatoes…but as I prepared the dish, more ingredients jumped out at me. Along came a few items from our garden: a couple jalapenos, cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil and parsley.

foodblog 019 foodblog 021

I found organic red quinoa at Trader Joe’s last month, it was too intriguing to pass up.

foodblog 007

Makes ~5 cups

Quinoa Mix:

  • 1 cup quinoa, dry
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup chickpeas
  • 2 ears corn kernels, kernels removed and cobs discarded
  • 1 large jalapeƱo, minced
  • 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 4 sun-dried tomatoes, minced, optional
  • 1/2 cup parsley & basil mix, roughly chopped

Dressing:

  • 1/4 cup olive oil or oil from sun-dried tomato jar
  • 1.5 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

foodblog 010

Rinse and prepare quinoa according to package directions. Prepare dressing mixture, shake or whisk together and pour over the warm quinoa. Add in remaining ingredients and herbs. Refrigerate for several hours to allow the flavors to marry.

foodblog 011 foodblog 012 

*******************

A little music inspiration: along with The Kickin’ Grass Band, I’ve also really been enjoying the music of Thad Cockrell this weekend. He’ll be at the American Tobacco Campus later this summer and I can’t wait to go and enjoy.

Farm Blogs: I’ve been making my way through this listing of 30 Outstanding Farm Blogs, I’m interested in checking these three out further:

*******************

Doggy-sunbathing…Finley is always the ‘Regal Beagle” and little Wilson is under the edge of the table.

foodblog 024 foodblog 023

2 comments:

Cucinista said...

So, I read your recipe title to my other half who said "Yum! Want me to make it for dinner?" And if that isn't one of the best compliments I could imagine -- especially coming from my main man who is far more at home with pasta and sauce from a jar -- then I don't know what is. I agree: Yum!

Jessica @ JJsVinBlanc said...

That's so awesome, my husband loved the dish too. The leftovers are so great for packed lunches at work too, love that! Enjoy!