My mom and grandma spent one afternoon while in KY teaching my sister and I how to can :)
Sara and I prepping the vegetables for our salsa recipe.
I brought my CSA peppers and tomatoes with me to use, only the best!
Sterilizing the jars, lids, and rings
After filling and lidding the jars, we dropped them back into the water bath. It was a lot of steps, but overall easier than I expected. I think the main take away is to just be organized with your recipe ingredients and canning supplies.
Zesty Salsa, from Ball Blue Book
- 10 C chopped, seeded, peeled, cored tomatoes (about 6 pounds)
- 5 c chopped and seeded long green peppers (We use Anaheim) (about 2 pounds)
- 5 c chopped onions (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 1/2 cups chopped and seeded hot peppers (we used jalapeno) (about 1 pound)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional, but we use it)
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot, adding the hot pepper sauce, if desired. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Strawberry-Lemon Marmalade, from Ball Blue Book
- 1/4 cup thinly slice lemon peel (about 2 large)
- 4 cups crushed strawberries (about 4 1-lb containers)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1.75-oz pkg Ball® Original Fruit Pectin
- 6 cups sugar
- 7 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
Combine lemon peel and water to cover in a 6- or 8-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 5 minutes, until peel is softened. Drain and discard liquid. Return peel to pan.
Add strawberries and lemon juice to peel and mix well. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling that can not be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
Add entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off foam if necessary.
Ladle hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.