Sunday, July 18, 2010

Homemade Yogurt

While I was home, my mom shared a yogurt starter with me. A co-worker of hers, from India, had given it to her and told her how simple it was to make. It really is quite amazing and makes me wander why more of us in America aren’t making this for ourselves verses purchasing it.

foodblog 114

foodblog 116 foodblog 120 foodblog 121

Instructions to make 1 quart

  • 1 quart of milk (any kind, even soy milk) I use local 1% milk
  • 1-2 Tbsp natural plain yogurt, live/active cultures, to use as starter (Since I was given a starter I haven’t tried using a small amount of good quality store-bought yogurt, but I’ve read several recipes that say this works, so if you want to make your own give this a try.)
  1. Bring milk to a boil or foamy stage (180 degrees). foodblog 059
  2. Pour into bowl and let cool to 110 degrees (can use ice bath). foodblog 062
  3. While cooling remove yogurt starter from refrigerator and sit on counter.
  4. When milk has reached 110 degrees, stir in the yogurt starter. foodblog 064
  5. Cover and set away from drafts in warm place for 7-8 hours.

Note: Save 1/4 cup as a starter and repeat recipe every 4-5 days. Once starter has been removed for your next batch, you can strain the yogurt in a paper towel layered colander to obtain a thicker consistency.

No comments: