- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 oz chorizo sausage, casing removed, chopped
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green olives
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of ground turmeric
- small pinch of saffron threads
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet or a medium-large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes. Add chicken pieces and cook until browned on all sides (not necessarily cooked through), about 4 minutes. Transfer chicken and chorizo to a plate.
2. Add remaining oil to pan. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, about one minute. Return chicken and chorizo to the pot and add broth, peas, rice, tomato, olives, salt, pepper, turmeric, and saffron. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low for 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger