- 7 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large onion, cut into large pieces (about 1½ inches)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 (15.5 oz.) cans black beans (preferably low-sodium), drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (like Tabasco)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss tomatoes, onion, and garlic with oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in large bowl, then transfer to baking sheet. Roast until garlic cloves have softened, edges of onions are browned, and tomatoes have collapsed, 35 to 40 minutes, stirring once after first 20 minutes.
2. Transfer roasted vegetable mixture to 4-qt. saucepan. Add broth, beans, cumin, chili powder, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and blend until smooth with immersion blender or in batches in regular blender. Stir in hot sauce. Divide among 4 bowls and garnish with dollop of sour cream.