These are a bit time consuming, but are my all time favorite Christmas cookie!! Don’t tell, but underneath the raspberry jam is a dollop of chocolate.
- 1/4 Basic Sugar-Cookie Dough, premade and chilled
- 3 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 ounces walnuts, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam, warmed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Allow your disc(s) of dough to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. Place walnuts in a shallow dish. Form dough into 1-inch balls; roll balls in nuts, coating completely.
- Place balls on parchment- lined baking sheets. Use your thumb to make an indentation in center of each ball. Chill 20 minutes.
- Bake cookies in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching positions of sheets halfway through, until firm to the touch, 12 to 16 minutes. Remove from oven. Using a small teaspoon or the handle of a wooden spoon, press indentation of each cookie to redefine shape. Allow to completely cool on wire racks.
- Melt chocolate and fill each with about 1/4 teaspoon. All chocolate to completely set. Cover each chocolate portion with raspberry jam, so the chocolate becomes a hidden surprise. Store in airtight containers at room temperature, up to 5 days.
Makes about 1 1/2 dozen
Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart