Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Extract

Several weeks ago I saw Kelsey Nixon make her own vanilla extract on her show “Kelsey’s Essentials” and I loved the idea. It took me awhile to make it over to the liquor store, but I finally did and with what I purchased was able to make two 16oz jars worth of vanilla extract. For the vanilla beans, I ordered them online in bulk and (wow) they are so plump and fragrant.

foodblog 051 foodblog 049

  • 16 oz vodka, 80 proof (40% alcohol)
  • 5 vanilla beans, split lengthwise

Place in 16oz air tight jar. Allow to sit for 6-8 weeks in a dark place, gently shake once or twice a week.

If you start to run low, top the jar off with more vodka and shake again. Also, whenever you use a vanilla bean in other recipes toss it into the jar after you’ve used it. This will continue to “feed” your vanilla extract and it should keep for years.

Recipe Source

No comments: